Sunday 8 June 2014

Jamorama!

Hi guys,

Among other things I have been doing this week just gone I signed up and tested out some of Jamorama's guitar teaching service. Overall I am impressed, though it is lacking in areas it has given me some great tips I am implementing already. I was very interested in the picking section of the courses and intermediate to advanced levels. As you can probably tell by my music I know how to play but I have always held the plectrum a certain way and the way they teach is different to my way. Although it is more about what is comfortable for you I have become much more aware of how I hold the pick (I point it down my thumb, using almost the edge of an 0.88mm nylon Dunlop) and the other possibilities for gripping it. He teaches to have far more of the plectrum catching the string, which is much easier for noobies.

It was also very interesting to note that he sees the progression of thickness of pick going from thin to thick the more advanced you get while I use an 0.88mm pick which is quite thin. I am going to buy a thicker pick, which I haven't used in ages as soon as I can. He says thicker picks are for fast lead playing also, something I did not know. Although it is about what is comfortable I think I will be able to play faster and more accurately with the new one.

Another random cool tip, which their are lots of is that if your plectrum gets worn away you can sharpen it on the carpet! Give it a try if you have one that is worn away, although that's probably not a practice most rock stars perform regularly. Anyway, that's enough about picks.

The beginner section of this service looks very comprehensive with video lessons for major chords, minor chords, 7ths, progressions, blues progressions and barre chords. The site also has a chord book section.

I don't want to give it away too much but can now ethically say I recommend it, it really has helped me already and is very useful at brushing up on your technique and chord knowledge. With a $10 a month recurring option and 60 day money back guarantee you would be mad not to. Click HERE to go straight to the site. See ya next time!


No comments:

Post a Comment